We help hospitals, health systems, and surgery centers by developing and implementing innovative operating room and Surgical Services solutions.
- Make a smooth transition from fee-for-service to value-based care.
- Enhance performance management through productivity improvements and workflow redesign.
- Maximize operating room throughput while enhancing the patient AND physician experience.
We tailor each perioperative consultation to address the client’s particular needs. Services provided include reviews of:
- Strategic planning
- Management and organization
- Human resources
- Productivity improvement
- Orientation and continuing education programs
- Facility design
- Patient logistics
- Sterile Processing
- Supply chain management
- Physical inventory calculations
- Revenue enhancement
Furthermore, we pride ourselves in being change agents through the trifecta of The Barratt Merit™ .
Healthcare Triple Aim Transformation Projects
Clinical Operations Improvement Projects
- Assessed Surgical Services, Endoscopy, Cath Lab and Interventional Radiology across numerous multi-facility healthcare systems in the U.S. and made system, process and staffing recommendations needed to achieve the targeted 25th – 35th percentile benchmark level of labor performance.
- Designed and implemented detailed work plans and process flows for multi-facility healthcare systems and achieved the 25th percentile benchmark level of labor productivity performance in more than 40 facilities in the United States. Reduced labor expense by $1 Million – $5 Million per facility.
- Performed assessments of Surgical Services operations, management, logistics, materials handling and, information systems in more than 50 engagements in community hospitals, pediatric hospitals, academic medical centers and integrated delivery networks across the United States. Assisted numerous clients in implementation of reengineering action plans.
- Reengineered the Pre-Admission Testing Program of two major academic teaching institutions that supported the 33 and 55 room surgical suites respectively.
- Identified new scheduling methods to increase surgical case capacity by 15% in a tertiary care Harvard affiliated pediatric hospital by decreasing delays, increasing efficiencies and adjusting scheduling practices.
- Participated as the clinical expert in a Surgical Services charge master standardization project for a nine-hospital system in Texas.
Information Systems Implementation Projects
- Implemented the McKesson Operating Room Information System in an enterprise fashion across a five-hospital health system in the ORs, Cath Labs and Endoscopy Labs. Achieved maximum efficiency and meaningful data reporting capability consistent with the objectives of standardization.
- Completely reengineered supply replenishment processes within Surgical Services in a community-based hospital. Accomplished the transfer of the OR’s control of supplies, instrument distribution, and surgical instrument decontamination activities to a newly designed Central Processing Department. Interfaced the OR and Materials Management information systems and implemented an Instrument Asset Management system. The project realized $1 Million inventory savings in the first year and had a $4.5 Million return on investment within 5 years.
- Led a 3-hospital system in selection and implementation of a Surgical Services and Anesthesia Information System. Developed RFP and coordinated scripted vendor demonstrations with three vendors (McKesson, Picis and GE). Assisted the IS Oversight Committee in vendor selection and contract negotiation
- Implemented the Picis Preop Manager and OR Manager perioperative products across a three-hospital system. Automated each step of the perioperative documentation process, including surgical scheduling, preference card maintenance, perioperative documentation, supply chain management, and billing. Implemented SmarTrack, an interactive patient tracking tool, to speed and simplify the tracking of surgical patients through the perioperative process from the patient’s arrival in the perioperative suite through discharge through display of information at a glance on customized screens
- Successfully marketed a Materials Management, Accounts Payable and Asset Management ERP Technology Implementation Services to a five-hospital IDN. Managed a Lawson Insight Software team of six consultants and achieved go-live on time and on budget on this $1 million engagement.
- Managed the successful installation and implementation of the ESI, Inc. Materials Management, Accounts Payable and Operating Room Information System at a community hospital affiliate of an academic medical center in Chicago, Ill.
- Partnered the installation and implementation of the Lawson Insight Materials Management, Accounts Payable and Asset Management software and the integration and implementation of the Per-Se Technologies ORSOS Operating Room Information System in a 3-Hospital IDN.
Materials Management Operations Improvement and Supply Expense Reduction Projects
- Performed a comprehensive assessment of OR, Sterile Processing and Materials Management. Analyses included instrument, materials and case cart processes. Recommendations outlined opportunities to improve inventory performance, implement dashboard indicators, decrease inventory locations, implemented a Central Service quality improvement plan, acquire instrument asset management software, and streamline the case cart picking process.
- Assessed Central Service’s ability to support a new five- room OR located across the street from the current hospital location.
- Identified more than $1Million in OR cost savings opportunities in 5 product lines during a Medical Center supply chain initiative.
- Led the Value Analysis Team of a five-hospital system in identification and implementation of $2,000,000 in Operation Room supply expense reductions.
Outsource Perioperative Services
Our contract (outsource) services are varied and are designed to assist our clients while they search for qualified managers (recruiting and interim departmental management services), to assist with implementation of specific departmental objectives (implementation assistance) and/or to serve as a role model and coach for department managers (mentorship). Offering these perioperative services also serves to keep our operating room consultants abreast of issues affecting Surgical Services today, including Joint Commission and state department of health standards and survey processes, professional society (ASA, ACS, AORN, ASPAN and SGNA) recommended practices and standards, regulatory and reimbursement changes, the functionality of various information systems, and Surgical Services technological advances.CONTACT US